To complement China’s recently released “Adjustment and Revitalization Plan of Equipment Manufacturing Industry”, China Machine Tool Builders’ Association (CMTBA) has set up a three-year target (from 2009 to 2011) for machine tools industry.
1. To achieve annual average growth by 15% from 2009 to 2011. Domestic-made machine tools to account for 70% or above of the whole market, in which domestic-made CNC machine tools to share more than 40% of the whole Chinese CNC machine tools market.
2. To basically form a commercialization manufacturing system of CNC machine tools by leading enterprises, with further optimized industry layout. Three to five large-size CNC machine tools manufacturing groups which has the ability to compete in the global market are expected to form.
3. To increase the varieties of high-end CNC machine tools and automation production lines. Market share of domestic made high-end CNC machine tool are expected to raised from current less than 5%, to more than 20%, for some key applications such as aerospace, automotive, marine, and power equipment.
4. The development and commercialization of domestic made CNC system and functional parts matched for medium and high-end CNC machine tools will be accelerated, with market share from the current less than 20% to more than 40% in three years.
5. To increase the export value of the machine tools industry to more than US$10 billion in 2011 from US$5.2 billion in 2007. Of which, metalworking machine tools export value is expected to account for US$4 billion, while CNC machine tools export value is expected to occupy more than 50% of total.
To achieve above targets, CMTBA points out that China machine tools industry should put focus on promoting self-innovation ability, industrialization level, and accelerating the upgrade of machine tools industry.