GLS Thermoplastic Elastomers, a PolyOne business and global leader in high-performance, custom-formulated thermoplastics elastomers (TPEs), introduced recently at Chinaplas, Asia’s No. 1 plastics and rubber trade fair held last month in Guangzhou, China, a new family of halogen-free, flame-retardant (HFFR) TPEs that provide an alternative to traditional flexible vinyl jacketing and insulation for consumer electronics applications.
The new GLS OnFlex TPE materials, designed for use in power cords for consumer electronics products, ensure a high level of safety and regulatory compliance as well as excellent performance and aesthetics. GLS Thermoplastic Elastomers is currently developing a robust platform of OnFlex HFFR compounds based on multiple technologies and at different price points.
The OnFlex HFFR TPE platform comprises five groups of compounds, which are listed below. This wide range of technologies, together with GLS Thermoplastic Elastomers’ full customization capabilities and global supply and services network, enables manufacturers to select global solutions for global customers and regional solutions for regional customers. These materials also offer different price/performance ratios for even greater options.
* OnFlex HFFR 500 products are excellent for colored power cords and accessory cords. They offer excellent colorability and superior stability of light colors with excellent
chemical resistance and flexibility.
* OnFlex HFFR 400 products are formulated for AC and DC power cords and connectors requiring superior abrasion performance, chemical resistance and good flexibility.
* OnFlex HFFR 300 products offer superior processing speed and balance of properties, including good abrasion resistance and wear properties. They are available in black
and colorable grades for AC and DC power cords and connectors.
* OnFlex HFFR 200 products feature robust processing, colorability, and good flexibility for accessory and power cords, and connectors. They are easily customizable for
* OnFlex HFFR 100 products supply a cost-effective solution for light colored AC and DC power cords and connectors. These grades can be easily customized.
The new OnFlex portfolio meets performance and regulatory requirements and provides visual and tactile aesthetics. All grades are made without the use of halogenated flame retardants and do not contain phthalates. OnFlex HFFR TPEs can typically be processed on the same extrusion and injection molding equipment used for flexible PVC.