5D Composite introduces in-mould decorating system for composite products
5D Composite Inc has developed an in-mould coating and decorating system for composite products.
5D Composite, located in Florida, USA, says the process provides a finish that realistically resembles wood, marble, granite and several other computer generated patterns – even logos are possible.Examples of applications include windows, doors, handrails, columns, wall panels, furniture and accessories.
5D Composite reports that its coating technology is integrated with the technology of curing the composite part in the mould. When the part is removed from the mould it is ready for use, with a smooth durable coating that is part of the composite structure.
The quality and final appearance of the product is determined by the surface of the mould as well as by type and quality of coating materials. A clear or metallic finish is possible. Coating properties can be adjusted by type and amount of pigments, additives and fillers.
According to 5D Composite, benefits of the 5D In-Mold Decoration System include:
- costs for moulds and tooling are relatively low;
- the technique is easily adapted to short production runs;
- hollow, totally enclosed items as well as pieces with openings can be made;
- plastic or metal inserts can often be moulded as integral parts of the item;
- uniform or varying wall thickness is possible;
- double-wall construction;
- core materials are incorporated as required;
- excellent durability and appearance.